This course comprises the fourth year of the Level 8 BSc (Hons) in Environmental Science. Applicants should have achieved a relevant level 7 degree such as the Bachelor of Science in Environmental Protection at IT Sligo.
The Level 8 BSc (Hons) in Environmental Science deals mainly with management issues in relation to environmental protection and pollution control, habitat conservation, recycling, energy and sustainability and includes a combination of field trips, laboratory work, site visits, project work, presentations, lectures and work placement.
An important element of the final year is to undertake an individually-supervised research project in an area of interest to the student that is of environmental significance.
Entry requirements for CAO courses at ATU Sligo are available for download below:
- Download Entry requirements for just Level 8 programmes
- Download Entry requirements for all programmes
Candidates with a cognate level 7 degree, such as the BSc (level 7) in Environmental Protection, are eligible to apply.
Graduates from this course find employment as Environmental Officers in the environment and waste divisions of local authorities, industry (food and beverage, chemical/pharmaceutical, energy production, minerals and metal, agriculture, wood processing, etc.), environmental consultancy companies or in government bodies such as the EPA, IFI, etc. As an environmental scientist,
you may be engaged in the implementation of EU and Irish legislation, environment protection and ecological conservation, the management of pollution control facilities, and soil, water and air quality measurement.
Career opportunities for graduates have increased significantly since the establishment of the EPA and the introduction of Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (IPPC)/ Waste Licensing and environmental management systems such as ISO 14000 and EMAS.
Did you know?
Why IT Sligo?
There are a lot of reasons, here are some:
- A modern campus, lots of sports facilities
- Close to Sligo town with lots of accommodation options
- A great environment, close to the sea and mountains
- New, modern building, facilities and equipment
- We’re young, we’ve worked in industry
- 30 years of graduates, we’re everywhere
- Its not all exams, practical ability counts
- You will gain work experience
- You will not only have the knowledge but also the ability, ready for work!
|Advanced Geographic Information Systems||05|
|Environmental Legislation and Policy||05|
|Environmental Science Research Project Part 1||05|
|EMS, EIA and Planning||05|
|Environmental Science Research Project Part 2||10|