If you are applying to begin Year 1 of this course in 2020, please go to the following link.
The B.Sc. Honours Degree in Environmental Science at IT Sligo is the longest running environmental science degree on the island of Ireland. We have nearly 30 years of graduates working in the area of environmental science all over the world.
Why Environmental Science @ IT Sligo?
- Enjoy state of the art labs with the most up to date equipment in the newly built science building at IT Sligo.
- Focus on practical classes over theory. View the video clip below to get an overview of the types of practical activities you will partake in on the course.
- Gain invaluable on the job work experience during 3rd year of study on our work placement programme.
- Well established course which is well known and recognised for its excellence by employers countrywide: 30 years of graduates.
- Living in Sligo gives the opportunity to engage in outdoor pursuits such as surfing, sailing, hill walking, during your spare time.
- The IT Sligo campus is walking distance from Sligo town, there are many accommodation options and you can take advantage of Sligo’s vibrant social scene.
Meet some of our recent graduates by clicking on the links below.
Natalie Patton, Graduate with Irish Water/Ervia.
Fergal Maguire, Group Environmental Licensing Manager, ABP Food Group.
Aidan Loughlin, Graduate with Veolia Water.
What will I study?
For more detailed information, see the “What subjects will I study” link on the right of this page.
An introduction to the world of environmental protection and the earth’s energy & environmental systems. Students will study and gain practical experience in the core topics of biology, chemistry, maths, geology and earth science, computers, communications and basic environmental systems. At the end of the year students will have a good fundamental knowledge base in the disciplines of environmental science.
Students will receive more in-depth practical experience in climate science, water quality, ecology, microbiology, computer mapping and modelling systems, environmental instruments and analysis of water, air and soil. These core specialised subjects will set the student up for the third year and provide the foundation for advanced laboratory skills.
Modules focus on environmental systems and the interaction of humans, industry and development on the environment. Students will become competent in the areas of water and wastewater treatment, waste management, habitat and species management, environmental agricultural systems, environmental assessment, chemical toxicology, environmental microbiology and molecular biology. All modules have a practical emphasis preparing the student for the workplace and their work placement, which takes place at the end of this year.
The fourth year of the honours degree programme is set on management principles so that the graduate has the skill to not only understand science and the environment but apply it practically with leadership and direction. The specialist topics covered include environmental planning, ecological and energy management systems, environmental legislation, science research methods and advanced geographical mapping (GIS). Students will also undertake a major project in a specific area of their choice.
International Study Opportunities
Opportunities to study abroad via Erasmus semester and year-long exchanges with EU partners, also the Mid Sweden University Summer School Programme (https://www.miun.se/en/education/summeruniversity/more-information/partners/) and Work placement in EU, Tenerife or other.
This is an accredited course with the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM), the largest professional body for chartered environmental scientists. All students on this course are eligible to become student members of this professional body. For further details please click here.
Environmental Science gives access to a wide range of career opportunities with opportunities for office based, lab based, and field based careers. Many careers involve a mixture of these activities. The diversity of career options is perhaps one of the main benefits of a career in Environmental Science. The table below summarises some of the main areas our graduates find employment in.
Environmental and Natural
Public Sector Environmental
Education & Enforcement
Environmental Compliance &
• Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI)
• Irish Water
• Veolia & other Water Utilities
• Greenstar & other Waste Utilities
• Local Authorities
• Environmental Protection Agency
• Health & Safety Authority (HSA)
• Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI)
• Sea Fisheries Protection Authority
• AbbVie & Abbott
• Intel Corporation
• Glaxo Smith Klein (Stiefel)
• Boston Scientific
• Jennings O’Donovan
• JJ Rhatigan & Co
• Woodrow Consulting
• Scott Cawley Consulting
• McCarthy Keville O'Sullivan
Management of natural resources such as land, water, soil, plants and animals, with a particular focus on managing the quality of life for both present and future generations.
Environmental Enforcement is the implementation and enforcement of environmental legislation, including promoting conservation and sustainability, and enhancing the public's enjoyment of the environment.
Working in a range of highly regulated industries, such as medical devices, pharmaceuticals, banking and energy to ensure that environmental activities are in line with appropriate legislation.
An environmental consultant works with organisations on a range of environmental issues, offering expert advisory and assessment services to ensure that possible damaging effects are managed or eliminated.
For more information Download our summary leaflet of Environmental Science at IT Sligo along with career opportunities in Environmental Science.
Follow our Twitter feed: @EnvSc_ITSligo
Entry requirements for CAO courses at IT Sligo are available for download below:
- Download Entry requirements for just Level 8 programmes
- Download Entry requirements for all programmes
A science subject at Leaving Certificate is not a requirement for this course.
Environmental scientist work in many diverse industrial sectors and disciplines. You can find out more info from this document and here are a few examples;
- Multinational healthcare and IT industries (e.g. Abbott Laboratories , Intel, GlaxoSmithKline)
- Agricultural and food processing industry (e.g. Connaught Gold, Glanbia, Teagasc)
- Environmental and engineering consultancies
- Waste and water management utilities (e.g. Greenstar, Veolia, Irish Water)
- Waste to energy facilities
- Local Government (County Councils)
- Civil Service & Semi-state sector (e.g. EPA, National Parks & Wildlife Service, Inland Fisheries Ireland)
- Non-Government Organisations (e.g. Birdwatch Ireland, An Taisce, Irish Wildlife Trust, Irish Whale & Dolphin Group)
- Energy, and renewable energy, sector
- Research posts and Lecturing in Third Level Institutions
You could also choose to specialise in environmental science to Masters or Doctorate qualifications!
Did you know?
Why IT Sligo?
There are a lot of reasons, here are some:
- A modern campus, lots of sports facilities
- Close to Sligo town with lots of accommodation options
- A great environment, close to the sea and mountains
- New, modern building, facilities and equipment
- We’re young, we’ve worked in industry
- 30 years of graduates, we’re everywhere
- Its not all exams, practical ability counts
- You will gain work experience
- You will not only have the knowledge but also the ability, ready for work!
|MATHEMATICS FOR SCIENCE 1||05|
|INTRODUCTORY CHEMISTRY 1||05|
|COMMUNICATIONS IN SCIENCE||05|
|The Environment Around Us||05|
|Information Technology 1 Computer Apps for Environ Investigation||05|
|INTRODUCTORY CHEMISTRY 2||05|
|ENVIRONMENTAL PHYSICAL SCIENCE||05|
|Diversity of Life||05|
|MATHEMATICS FOR SCIENCE 2||05|
|INTRODUCTION TO ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE||05|
|Meteorology and Climate Science||05|
|QUALITY SYSTEMS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL INVESTIGATIONS||05|
|Introduction to Geographic Information Systems||05|
|ENVIRONMENTAL INSTRUMENTAL ANALYSIS||05|
|SECTORAL ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES||05|
|AIR QUALITY THEORY and LABORATORY||05|
|Applied and Environmental Microbiology||05|
|OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH||05|
|WASTEWATER TREATMENT LABORATORY||05|
|LAW AND ENVIRONMENTAL LEGISLATION||05|
|WATER and WASTEWATER TREATMENT THEORY||05|
|ENVIRONMENTAL TOPICS, CASE STUDIES AND WORK PLACEMENT||05|
|Advanced Geographic Information Systems||05|
|ENVIRONMENTAL LEGISLATION AND POLICY||05|
|ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE RESEARCH PROJECT Part 1||05|
|EMS, EIA AND PLANNING||05|
|Environmental Biotechnology Bioremediation CompostingAnaerobic Digestion||05|
|ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE RESEARCH PROJECT Part 2||10|