Bachelor of Science in Environmental Protection
If you are applying to begin Year 1 of this course in 2020, please go to the following links.
If you have an interest in science, geography or the environment but have yet to define your career path the BSc Ordinary Degree in Environmental Protection may be just the course for you.
Please note from September 2020 the intake from this programme will transition to the BSc in Environmental Science with Ecology.
Why Environmental Protection @ IT Sligo?
- Enjoy state of the art labs with the most up to date equipment in the newly built science building at IT Sligo.
- Focus on practical classes over theory. View the video clip below to get an overview of the types of practical activities you will partake in on the course.
- Well established course which is well known and recognised for its excellence by employers countrywide: 30 years of graduates.
- Living in Sligo gives the opportunity to engage in outdoor pursuits such as surfing, sailing, hill walking, during your spare time.
- The IT Sligo campus is walking distance from Sligo town, there are many accommodation options and you can take advantage of Sligo’s vibrant social scene.
Meet some of our recent graduates by clicking on the links below.
Natalie Patton, Graduate with Irish Water/Ervia.
Fergal Maguire, Group Environmental Licensing Manager, ABP Food Group.
Aidan Loughlin, Graduate with Veolia Water.
What will I study?
For more detailed information, see the “What subjects will I study” link on the right of this page.
An introduction to the world of environmental protection and the earth’s energy & environmental systems. Students will study and gain practical experience in the core topics of biology, chemistry, maths, geology and earth science, computers, communications and basic environmental systems. At the end of the year students will have a good fundamental knowledge base in the disciplines of environmental science.
Students will receive more in-depth practical experience in climate science, water quality, ecology, microbiology, computer mapping and modelling systems, environmental instruments and analysis of water, air and soil. These core specialised subjects will set the student up for the third year and provide the foundation for advanced laboratory skills.
Modules focus on environmental systems and the interaction of humans, industry and development on the environment. Students will become competent in the areas of water and wastewater treatment, waste management, habitat and species management, environmental agricultural systems, environmental assessment, chemical toxicology, environmental microbiology and molecular biology. All modules have a practical emphasis preparing the student for the workplace and their work placement, which takes place at the end of this year.
International Study Opportunities
Opportunities to study abroad via Erasmus semester and year-long exchanges with EU partners, also the Mid Sweden University Summer School Programme (https://www.miun.se/en/education/summeruniversity/more-information/partners/) and Work placement in EU, Tenerife or other.
This is an accredited course with the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM), the largest professional body for chartered environmental scientists. All students on this course are eligible to become student members of this professional body. For further details please click here.
Environmental Protection gives access to a wide range of career opportunities with opportunities for office based, lab based, and field based careers. Many careers involve a mixture of these activities. The diversity of career options is perhaps one of the main benefits of a career in Environmental Protection. The table below summarises some of the main areas our graduates find employment in.
Environmental and Natural
Public Sector Environmental
Education & Enforcement
Environmental Compliance &
• Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI)
• Irish Water
• Veolia & other Water Utilities
• Greenstar & other Waste Utilities
• Local Authorities
• Environmental Protection Agency
• Health & Safety Authority (HSA)
• Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI)
• Sea Fisheries Protection Authority
• AbbVie & Abbott
• Intel Corporation
• Glaxo Smith Klein (Stiefel)
• Boston Scientific
• Jennings O’Donovan
• JJ Rhatigan & Co
• Woodrow Consulting
• Scott Cawley Consulting
• McCarthy Keville O'Sullivan
Management of natural resources such as land, water, soil, plants and animals, with a particular focus on managing the quality of life for both present and future generations.
Environmental Enforcement is the implementation and enforcement of environmental legislation, including promoting conservation and sustainability, and enhancing the public's enjoyment of the environment.
Working in a range of highly regulated industries, such as medical devices, pharmaceuticals, banking and energy to ensure that environmental activities are in line with appropriate legislation.
An environmental consultant works with organisations on a range of environmental issues, offering expert advisory and assessment services to ensure that possible damaging effects are managed or eliminated.
For more information Download our summary leaflet of Environmental Science at IT Sligo along with career opportunities in Environmental Science.
Follow our Twitter feed: @EnvSc_ITSligo
|Environmental Science||SG432||Ordinary Bachelor Degree Abinitio|
*New Common Points Scale
The new Leaving Certificate Common Points Scale from 2017 is not directly comparable with the scale that was in existence from 1992 to 2016.
Applicants should list their CAO course choices in genuine order of preference and they will be offered the course highest up on their list that they are deemed eligible for, if any.
Entry requirements for CAO 2019 courses at ITSligo are available for download below:
- Download Entry requirements for just Level 7 programmes
- Download Entry requirements for all programmes
2013 Points: 230, A science subject at Leaving Certificate is not a requirement for this course.
There are lots of choices, here are a few options:
- Further education, including our B.Sc. Honours in Environmental Science (entry to year 4)
- Multinational healthcare and IT industries (e.g. Abbott Laboratories, Intel, GlaxoSmithKline)
- Agricultural and food processing industry (e.g. Connaught Gold, Glanbia, Teagasc)
- Environmental and engineering consultancies
- Waste and water management utilities (e.g. Greenstar, Veolia)
- Local Government (County Councils and Corporations)
- Civil Service & Semi-state sector (e.g. EPA, Inland Fisheries Ireland)
What subjects will I study?
|Mathematics for Science 1||05|
|The Environment Around Us||05|
|Information Technology 1 Computer Apps for Ecology & Environment||05|
|Introductory Chemistry 1||05|
|Communications in Science||05|
|Introductory Chemistry 2||05|
|Environmental Physical Science||05|
|Diversity of Life||05|
|Mathematics for Science 2||05|
|Introduction to Environmental Science||05|
|Environmental Quality Systems||05|
|Aquatic Ecology: Theory and Lab||05|
|Soils and the Environment||05|
|Introduction to Geographic Information Systems||05|
|Environmental Microbiological Monitoring||05|
|Environmental Instrumental Analysis||05|
|Occupational Safety and Health||05|
|Sectoral Environmental Issues||05|
|Air Quality Theory & Practical||05|
|Applied and Environmental Microbiology||05|
Did you know?
Why IT Sligo?
There are a lot of reasons, here are some:
- Its not all exams, practical ability counts
- Small class size means we get to know you and you get to do more!
- New, modern building, facilities and equipment
- A modern campus, lots of sports facilities
- Close to Sligo town with lots of accommodation options
- A great environment, close to the sea and mountains
- 30 years of graduates, we’re everywhere
- You will have the knowledge and the ability for whatever you do next!
Who do I contact?
Contact Number: 071-9318510
Please feel free to contact us with questions on the course or college life at IT Sligo. Individual, or group visits to the college, and tours of our facilities, by prospective students can be arranged.