BSc in Environmental Protection
If you have an interest in science, geography or the environment but have yet to define your career path the BSc Ordinary Degree in Environmental Protection may be just the course for you.
Our three year ordinary degree provides a solid foundation in environmental science and its multidisciplinary approach and broad practical skill base will allow you to go in the career direction you want.
Our students gain experience and skills in a wide range of environmental disciplines while using some of the most advanced instruments and facilities in Ireland. Students investigate soil and earth science, oceans and weather, molecular and microbiology, water protection and ecology, hazardous chemicals and toxicology, pollution, water and wastewater treatment, waste and environmental impact.
Our graduates have hands-on environmental and technical skills that ensure they are ready for ever changing opportunities should these take them into the workforce, further education or other diverse careers.
An introduction to the world of environmental protection and the earths energy & environmental systems. Students will study and gain practical experience in the core topics of biology, chemistry, maths, geology and earth science, computers, communications and basic environmental systems. At the end of the year students will have a good fundamental knowledge base in the disciplines of environmental science.
Students will receive more in-depth practical experience in water quality, ecology, microbiology, computers, computer mapping/modelling systems, and laboratory analysis of water, air and soil. These core practical subjects will set the student up for the third year.
The modules in year 3 focus on the impacts of humans, industry and development on the environment and its practical protection. Students will become competent in the practical analysis of water, wastewater, soil and air; waste management; ecology and environmental agricultural systems and environmental monitoring. All of the modules have a practical emphasis preparing the student for the workplace and a future career path.
|Environmental Science||SG432||Ordinary Bachelor Degree Abinitio|
2013 Points: 230, A science subject at Leaving Certificate is not a requirement for this course.
There are lots of choices, here are a few options:
- Further education, including our B.Sc. Honours in Environmental Science (entry to year 4)
- Multinational healthcare and IT industries (e.g. Abbott Laboratories, Intel, GlaxoSmithKline)
- Agricultural and food processing industry (e.g. Connaught Gold, Glanbia, Teagasc)
- Environmental and engineering consultancies
- Waste and water management utilities (e.g. Greenstar, Veolia)
- Local Government (County Councils and Corporations)
- Civil Service & Semi-state sector (e.g. EPA, Inland Fisheries Ireland)
What subjects will I study?
|INTRODUCTORY CHEMISTRY 1||05|
|MATHEMATICS FOR SCIENCE 1||05|
|Information Technology 1 Computer Apps for Environ Investigation||05|
|The Environment Around Us||05|
|COMMUNICATIONS IN SCIENCE||05|
|INTRODUCTION TO ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE||05|
|ENVIRONMENTAL PHYSICAL SCIENCE||05|
|MATHEMATICS FOR SCIENCE 2||05|
|Diversity of Life||05|
|INTRODUCTORY CHEMISTRY 2||05|
|QUALITY SYSTEMS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL INVESTIGATIONS||05|
|Meteorology and Climate Science||05|
|Introduction to Geographic Information Systems||05|
|ENVIRONMENTAL INSTRUMENTAL ANALYSIS||05|
|Applied and Environmental Microbiology||05|
|SECTORAL ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES||05|
|AIR QUALITY THEORY and LABORATORY||05|
Did you know?
Why IT Sligo?
There are a lot of reasons, here are some:
- Its not all exams, practical ability counts
- Small class size means we get to know you and you get to do more!
- New, modern building, facilities and equipment
- A modern campus, lots of sports facilities
- Close to Sligo town with lots of accommodation options
- A great environment, close to the sea and mountains
- 30 years of graduates, we’re everywhere
- You will have the knowledge and the ability for whatever you do next!
Who do I contact?
Contact Number: 071-9318510
Please feel free to contact us with questions on the course or college life at IT Sligo. Individual, or group visits to the college, and tours of our facilities, by prospective students can be arranged.