Providing a healthy and safe work place whilst protecting the environment is now paramount for every business and industry. Our MSc in Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Management will provide you with practical management skills. Our online course is designed for busy professionals who wish to develop their knowledge base, network with like-minded individuals and further their career.
This is a two-year part-time course aimed at Honours Degree (Level 8) graduates of Science, Engineering or related areas. Graduates will be able to manage the Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) affairs of organisations and will be capable of developing management strategies for these areas compatible with other organisational functions.
The course is delivered over two academic years.
Year 1 modules include:
- Natural Resource Management and Assessment (Semester 1 - 10 credits)
- Risk, Management and Technical Safety (Semester 1 - 10 credits)
- Occupational Health, Hygiene and Chemical Risk Management (Semester 2 - 10 credits)
- Environmental Licensing and Industrial Efficiency (Semester 2 - 10 credits)
Year 2 modules include:
- EHS Regulation (Semester 1 - 10 credits)
- Integrated Management Systems (Semester 1 - 10 credits)
A Dissertation (30 credits) is also completed as part of the course in Year 2, with Semester 2 being devoted solely to the Dissertation. Students are encouraged to undertake this research on a topic of interest to them (or their employer) and students are mentored through the research by an IT Sligo academic supervisor.
There is an option to exit with a Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental, Health and Safety Management after completing the 6 taught modules of the course (60 credits).
Frequently asked Questions:
Q: How is the course delivered?
A: Lectures are delivered online, via adobe connect or panopto. The online lectures are normally scheduled between 6-10pm from Monday – Friday during the term. Normally your lectures will take place on two of these evenings. If you cannot attend the live lecture, you have the option of watching a recorded lecture later at your convenience. Assignments are completed/uploaded using the online moodle platform.
Q: How often do I need to attend ATU Sligo?
A: This is an online course. We do meet up once per semester for workshop/site visit activities. However, if you are abroad it is still possible to complete the course, and provision can be made to take exams remotely.
Q: When does the course start and how long are the semesters?
A: The course starts in mid-September. Semester 1 runs from September to December with exams in January. Semester 2 runs from January to May with exams in May.
Key Course Information
Whether you are studying part-time online, blended or full-time online, it is very important that you allocate enough study time to your online course to stay focused, reduce stress and achieve your goals. For part-time online or blended learning, it is recommended that you should try to allow for 5-6 hours per week per 5 credit module to your studies.
This course is offered part-time over two years through online lectures and resource materials which are available 24/7 to the learner. There will be one workshop per semester where the students will undertake teamwork, case studies, lectures and/or site visits. Assessments will be a blend of online and final examinations and students will be instructed in these online methods at the start of the course.
Application Closing Date : 31st August 2022
Applicants with a Level 8 Honours Degree in Science or Engineering, or in a related area, are eligible to apply.
Applicants with a Level 8 Honours Degree in other areas must demonstrate appropriate experience in the EHS area.
An ever increasing number of organisations are implementing EHS management systems based on International and European standards. These systems enable companies to take a proactive rather than reactive approach to managing their EHS affairs. Since the introduction of EPA licensing approximately 1,000 Irish organisations have been issued with licenses, a condition of these includes a requirement to implement an Environmental Management System.
Many other organisations are also considering, or are in the process of implementing, systems to ensure better management of their EHS affairs. Once these systems are in place, considerable resources are required for their continued operation, management and improvement.
Graduates may have an opportunity to undertake research leading to the award of PhD at ATU Sligo or at other third level institutes.
What our Graduates say:
- “The modular system is great, each topic was well structured.”
- “The course content was very relevant to industry and regulated environments.”
- “The online content made it easy to stay on top of the workload.”
- “On-line learning technologies allowed me to stay in contact with the lecturers and get to know my class.”
- “I recently went for an environmental management position, I couldn’t have applied for that job without doing the course. It definitely opened up a lot more options for me.”
- “The course is well organised and flexible so it suited my lifestyle with work and home life.”
- “I understand environmental legislation a lot more than I did before.”
- “It gave me a sense of achievement and extra confidence.”
- “I obtained new found knowledge relevant to the workplace.”
- “The lecturers were very helpful and supportive.”
- “Have an open mind, some of topics which I had no interest in were really informative.”
- “The course met all my expectations and I was very happy with it.”
- “The course tied very well to the things I do at work, the course content definitely sticks in your head.”
Did you know?
This course is one of the only courses accredited by the following professional organisations:
- Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH)
- Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM)
This course is accredited by the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH), the only Chartered body for Health and Safety practitioners and the world’s largest Health and Safety professional membership organisation.
This is an accredited course with the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM), the largest professional body for chartered environmental scientists. All students on this course are eligible to become student members of this professional body.
Total Programme Fees:
|Occupational Hygiene and Chemical Risk Management||10|
|Environmental Licensing and Industrial Efficiency||10|