Project Title: “Business Incubation – the future?”
Name: Ciara Walsh
Supervisor: Cathy O Kelly
“An analysis of the current operations and future potential of Incubation Centre’s on Irish Institutes of Technology Higher Education Campuses in response to the dynamic economic environment.”
This study seeks to make a contribution to research of the subject of campus incubation on the Irish Institutes of Technology Higher Education Campuses by assessing the experiences of campus incubation companies, with particular focus on the role and function of campus incubators, state agency support and academic collaborations going forward.
Ireland must be focusing on creating inward investment and strengthening indigenous industry in order to remain competitive and create an innovation island. Ireland should be placing itself in a position to attract EU Funding and can only do this by maximising potential in the area of collaborations between Businesses, Institutes of Technology Higher Education Institutions and Business Incubation Centre’s.
To create a research document which incorporates, a critical analysis and review of current operations and future potential of Business Incubation Centre’s and their utilisation of available resources with a view to developing a revised model at a local, regional and national level, to meet the needs of the dynamic economic climate.
- To investigate the role of Enterprise Ireland and County Enterprise Boards and other support agencies play with regard to Business Incubation Centre’s.
- To critically assess the role, function and services provided by Business Incubation Centre’s.
- To explore the linkages between Irish Institutes of Technology, Business Incubation Centre’s and their occupants and present recommendations for improvements.
- To compare Institutes of Technology Higher Education Institutes in order to determine best practice in terms of their relationship with the Business Incubation Centre’s.
- To benchmark internationally in order to ascertain best practice with regard to Campus Incubation facilities on Higher Education Institute Campuses e.g. U.S, Scotland and Finland, and devise and enhanced model for Ireland going forward.