Project Title: Silent voices – The recreational needs of young people with disabilities – A participatory approach.
Name: Jessica Mannion
Supervisor: Dr. Margaret Gilmore
Aims and objectives of the proposed programme of research
- To explore the recreational needs of young people with disabilities.
- To provide an opportunity for the young people with disabilities who participate in the research to have a say in the parameters of the study, in an advisory relationship with the researcher
- To consult with the above group on a regular basis as the study progresses, and particularly before final submission to ensure that their views are heard
- To gain an insight into the attitudes of young people without disabilities towards their peers with disabilities.
- To gain an understanding on the views of professionals in the youth sector and parents of young people with disabilities on the recreational needs of young people with disabilities.
- To include young people with disabilities in the research process and informing the participants of the outcomes of the research.
- To research the attitudes and views of young people with and without disabilities, professionals and parents.