The IT Sligo Sports Scholarship Programme assists talented student athletes reach their sporting potential. If you are a keen sportsperson competing at an elite level, we want to hear from you.
We offer sports scholarships at three different levels – Gold, Silver and Bronze. Up to 70 sports scholarships are awarded each academic year, across a wide range of sports – from GAA, Soccer, Golf, Equestrian and Athletics to Strongman, Surfing, Chess, Pentathlon and Motorsport. No matter what your chosen sport is, if you think you could be eligible then please apply.
Applications are now open. The closing date for applications is September 15th 2021. Applicants who are applying to study at IT Sligo for the first time are encouraged to make their application as early as possible, and preferably by May 1st 2021, so that they can be considered for the full range of benefits of the programme including the 10% bonus CAO points for entry to IT Sligo. Please download our Sports Scholarship Brochure (3.4MB) or view it below for more information.
For those interested in applying for Sports Scholarship based on the recent announcement by IT Sligo and Sligo Rovers about forming a senior women’s soccer team you may be interested in the programmes available on our Available Places page. Questions about this specific sport scholarship can contact Colm Jinks on email@example.com.
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
The Sports Scholarship Programme is designed to nurture talented sports people who are prepared to make the commitment to the IT Sligo sports clubs in their chosen discipline. If successful, you will also have to balance this with your studies.
- This means that you will be expected to represent IT Sligo at third level competitions while satisfying academic requirements.
- The overall aim of the scheme is to recruit, manage and develop players/athletes with exceptional ability to position IT Sligo as a premier centre of sporting performance.
- Sports Scholarships are awarded for a period of one year but may be renewed for up to a maximum of 4 years.
- Bonus CAO points may also be awarded to elite sports people. We encourage students to apply before May 1st so they can be considered for this bonus.
- Sport Travel Bursaries are also available to students competing at national and international levels.
- The Sports Scholarship comes with lots of additional benefits including full use of IT Sligo sports facilities, academic support and IT Sligo branded sports scholarship gear
SPORTS SCHOLARSHIPS ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
The Institute of Technology, Sligo believes in the excellence of sport and the support of young talented athletes who wish to pursue an academic career. The Institute offers Sports Scholarships in a wide range of sports to persons of outstanding sporting ability and athletic potential. Canvassing will disqualify.
- Sports Scholarships are intended for persons of outstanding sporting ability.
- Successful candidates must be registered as full-time students at IT Sligo.
- It is a condition of the award that the sports scholarship holder shall represent the Institute in his/her sport as a matter of priority and make a significant contribution to sport at the Institute.
Applicants will have already displayed their outstanding potential having participated at an advanced level e.g. National, International, Inter-provincial, representative leagues or inter-county level.
Scholarship holders must apply for the renewal of scholarships on an annual basis (automatic renewal will not apply). Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of sports as per application. The scholarship is non-transferable, other than in exceptional circumstances.
- Awardees must declare all sponsorship and grants to allow the scholarship committee to investigate potential conflict of interest for IT Sligo.
- Successful candidates shall be free from injury at time of commencement of programme.
- Awardees shall agree to the” Terms and Conditions” of the scholarship, sign the “Letter of Agreement” and sign the “Code of Conduct”.
- Sports Scholarships – Code of Conduct
Sorry, but this form is no longer accepting submissions.