Supporting students to achieve their potential
Welcome to the Academic Writing Centre (AWC) at IT Sligo. The centre is located in room A2054 in the quiet zone on the top floor of the Yeats Library.
We offer free advice and support on all aspects of academic writing in a friendly, informal atmosphere to all students of IT Sligo.
How we can help
We are not an editing or proof-reading service but we can support you in acquiring the skills to complete your assignments:
- Getting started with an assignment: planning, outline & structure
- The writing process: generating ideas, drafting, revising & editing
- Critical reading and effective note-taking
- Developing an argument and critical thinking
- Reflective writing
- Report writing
- Writing for a literature review
- Successful writing in exams
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Grammar, punctuation and spelling
- Formatting an assignment (font, heading, page numbering etc..)
Booking an appointment
1:1 or small group appointments can be booked online through our Moodle page. Choose the day and time that suits you by clicking below:
- Appointments can be conducted online. Book your slot then email the tutor directly to let them know you will be attending online. Appointments will be conducted using Adobe software which allows voice, image and screen sharing.
- Appointments last 40 minutes.
- In order to get the most from your appointment, it is helpful to bring along an assignment brief, a piece of work on which you are currently working or have completed and any feedback received.
Email the centre directly: If you have a general query or want to find out more about how the centre can help you please contact us directly at email@example.com
The Academic Writing Centre support page on moodle appears on your Moodle Dashboard and in your My Modules listing. Visit our moodle page to access online writing resources:
- Free online grammar checker
- Academic Phrasebank
- Essay Planner
- Key exam and assignment verbs
Academic Writing Tutor
P: +353 (71) 9305358