Academic Writing Centre
The Academic Writing Centre offers free advice and support on all aspects of academic writing to all students of IT Sligo, whether you are studying online or on campus. The centre also offers advice and support to staff who are writing for publication, writing reports or writing dissertations.
The centre is located in room A2054, in the quiet zone on the top floor of the Yeats Library. In this dedicated space students can avail of 1:1 appointments with experienced writing tutors in a friendly and informal atmosphere.
Ongoing Public health concerns may necessitate the continuation of remote online learning. In this case, all 1:1 appointments with a writing tutor will be held live online in the tutor’s online meeting room. This interactive space allows for live discussion between the tutor and students while document and screen sharing features enable resources to be shared and written feedback to be provided.
How We can Help
- Getting started with an assignment: planning, outline & structure
- The writing process: generating ideas, drafting, revising & editing
- Critical reading and effective note-taking
- Developing an argument: critical reading, thinking and writing
- Reflective writing, report writing & writing for a literature review
- Writing for a dissertation
- Successful writing in exams
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Grammar, punctuation and spelling
Booking an Appointment
In order to accommodate our on-campus online, part-time and international students, we offer a range of 40 minutes appointment times from Monday-Friday.
In order to get the most from your appointment, it is helpful to bring along an assignment brief or a piece of work on which you are currently working, or have recently completed. If your appointment is being held online, you can upload your piece of work when you book the appointment, or email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1:1 or small group appointments can be booked online through our Moodle page.
1:1 appointments are extremely popular and book up quickly: get in touch early in the semester if you think you could benefit from writing support.
If you have questions around academic writing, make our Moodle page your first port of call.
Login to Moodle and find the Academic Writing Centre Page under your My Courses tab.
- Access a range of online writing guides, recorded tutorials and resources covering key aspects of academic writing
- Upload a writing query along with any supporting draft work
- Book face to face or online appointments with a tutor
- Attend your online appointment in the tutor’s online meeting room
This free, self directed and interactive programme is designed to develop the academic writing skills of all students at IT Sligo. Whether you are new or returning to writing at 3rd level or want to improve your writing skills, this programme will be relevant for you. Each unit in the programme addresses a key topic in academic writing using a range of examples, activities, quizzes and downloadable resources to support the content:
- Unit 1: Introduction to Academic Writing
- Unit 2: Effective reading and note taking
- Unit 3: Avoiding plagiarism, citation, referencing and paraphrasing
- Unit 4: Writing an assignment: a step by step approach
- Unit 5: Critical analysis and critical writing
- Unit 6: Report Writing
- Unit 7: Grammar, punctuation and spelling
Staff who are engaged in academic writing are welcome to avail of all the services above. Whether you are writing for publication, writing a report or writing a dissertation, the centre can advise and support you at an appropriate level. If you would like to discuss techniques for meeting journal expectations, developing your writing style or any other academic writing issue, please contact John O’Callaghan; email@example.com
This free programme, led by the Centre for Enhancement of Learning and Teaching (CELT) at IT Sligo, is open to all registered students.
- Your current level of English can be of any standard from beginner to expert: anyone can join & at any time.
- The English Language support is adapted to support YOUR needs.
- The Native Speaker Experience brings live online coaching direct to your smartphone, tablet or PC.
- Get follow-up online materials, videos and interactive tests that you can use anytime.
Academic Writing Tutor
Phone: 071 9305358
Dr John O’Callaghan
Academic Writing Tutor
Phone: 071 9305358