How to Request a Deferral of a CAO Offer
Each September, a small number of CAO applicants to ATU, Sligo request to defer their offer of a college place. They plan to begin their study the following year instead. Below we outline what is involved in the CAO deferral process.
What does a deferral mean?
If you ask to defer your CAO Offer, you are asking to postpone your start of study until September next year. If your request is granted, the place you were offered this year, will be reserved for you until next year.
If granted, your offer of a place will remain regardless of any changes to the points between now and next year.
You will need to carefully re-apply to the CAO before February 1st, as a “Deferred Applicant”.
The CAO will then re-issue your offer next year.
What reasons are accepted for a CAO deferral?
ATU Sligo is generally sympathetic to applicants who wish to defer for a genuine reason. CAO offer holders requesting a deferral should have a valid reason for doing so such as:
- Medical or Wellness reason (supported by documentary evidence)
- Exceptional unforeseen circumstances.
What reasons are not accepted for CAO Deferral?
Please note that the University will not grant a CAO deferral for:
- Repeating the Leaving Certificate to get higher points.
- To Travel or take a “gap year” out.
- Difficulties with Work.
- Financial difficulties.
- Difficulties finding suitable Accommodation.
- Difficulties with Transport.
- Forgot to accept the offer on time.
If you cannot take up your place this year for the reasons above, remember that you are eligible to reapply as a “normal” applicant to the CAO again next year.
Please note that requests for Deferral of places will not be accepted less than 2 days prior to the Acceptance deadline.
It is therefore advisable to submit your request early, and not leave it until the last minute (at least three days before the reply date of your letter of offer is the general rule).
Procedure for Applying for a Deferral
If your reason for requesting a deferral of your place is due to medical reasons, bereavement or unexpected exceptional circumstances then you may request a Deferral of your place.
Procedure for Requesting the Deferral of a First Year Place
- Do not accept in the manner advised on the CAO offer.
- Immediately complete the ATU Sligo deferral application form which is available HERE
- Email any relevant supporting documentation to email@example.com
- The deferral application form must be completed at least 2 days before the “reply date” shown on the CAO offer notice.
Please note: Requests for deferral of places will not be accepted less than 2 days prior to the Acceptance deadline.
It is therefore advisable to submit your request early, and not leave it until the last minute (at least three days before the reply date of your letter of offer is the general rule). If the deferral is not granted you may then accept the offer for the current year providing you accept the offer by the ‘Reply Date’.
Please note that a Request for Deferral of place, does not guarantee a granting of Deferral.
Applicants Approved for a Deferral will be sent an email of confirmation of Approval.
What are the conditions related to CAO deferrals?
- If a deferral is granted, it is valid for one year only, and only for the course deferred.
- If, for any reason, the deferred course should be discontinued, the applicant may not, automatically, be entitled to a place on any other course. (Although the college will try and accommodate the student as best as possible.)
- Applicants must formally re-apply for the deferred course via CAO the following year.
- In making their re-application the deferred course must be the ONLY course listed on the CAO application.