Here are the key dates if you are applying to the fund :
- Registration Opens on Monday 16th September at 8:00am
- Registration Closes on Friday 18th October at 5:00pm (you will not be able to apply after this date has passed)
- Final date for submission of evidence is 5:00pm on Friday 1st November (this is the final date on which evidence relating to your application can be submitted to the Access Office)
Please note that the Fund may only be applied for if you are a Full time or part-time student on Campus (criteria may apply).
Key Details you should know
What is the Student Assistance Fund?The Student Assistance Fund aims to ensure that disadvantaged students receive financial supports to enable them to fully benefit from their studies and in particular to assist them in overcoming financial obstacles which may otherwise cause them to abandon their studies.
Am I Eligible To Apply?All students attending a full-time/part-time on campus undergraduate or postgraduate course of not less than one year’s duration leading to an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification are eligible to apply for funding. Part-time students must meet target Access group criteria. For the Childcare supplement you must be in receipt of a SUSI award (fees or grant) and social welfare payment (you or partner). Each application is considered individually and the Fund is discretional and is expected to support students experiencing acute or unexpected hardship. All applications and information provided as part of an application are treated in confidence. To receive payment from the Fund any tuition or registration fees must be paid in full or have an agreed payment plan with the Fees and Grants office in place.
What can I receive funding for?Grants will be awarded in the following categories:
- Heating and lighting costs
- Transport costs associated with attending college
- Rent associated with attending college
- Childcare costs
- Books and materials associated with attending college
- Medical visits or other medical costs
- The payment of mortgages
- The purchase of laptops / computers
- Registration or tuition fees
- Repayment of loans
How Do I Apply?Login above with your Student ID and password if you are a fulltime registered students - Deadlines are outlined at the top of this page and are strictly adhered to.
What is the Application Process?
- Once the application form is complete, please print and sign the cover letter and submit along with the requested documentary evidence. Place form and documentary evidence in a sealed envelope and place in the Access Office Post box. (on the wall in the Admissions Office). If applying for childcare as well, please put the word Childcare on the envelope.
- An online application alone is not a complete application and will not be processed. Contact will not be made until the cover letter and requested documentation is received.
- You will then be queued for assessment. First applications to complete step 3, are first assessed and first awarded funding.
- Assessment meetings are held the end of each month by an assessment committee.