STUDENT ASSISTANT FUND GUIDELINES 2020/2021
IMPORTANT INFORMATION WHEN APPLYING FOR SAF (PLEASE READ CAREFULLY)
- All applications without exception that are missing supporting documentation from their envelope/email will be put into an ‘Incomplete Applications folder’ for consideration at the end of the assessment process. This could result in no funding remaining to consider your application.
- No late applications will be accepted
- You will receive an automated email to your student email when your application has been processed and is (a) ready for assessment or (b) further information is required.
- We will not have the time to be responding to individual queries on the status of applications
- The onus is on each student to check their student email daily for further information regarding their application or other important information
- If you wish to email your supporting documents please email them in PDF or JPEG format only Student@nullitsligo.ie
Closing Date to apply for SAF
- Closing date for applications is Friday 5th March @ 5.00pm SHARP
- Closing date for receipt of Supporting documents is Monday 15th March @ 5.00pm SHARP. No late applications will be accepted. Please note if you are providing your evidence by post or dropping them to the college only one envelope with supporting documentation will be accepted, the envelope must be clearly marked SAF and your student ID Number on it. Any application that is missing supporting documentation is deemed ‘Incomplete’. Please only submit one email with all your documents attached also.
What is the student Assistant Fund?
The Student Assistance Fund is intended to support students whose participation in higher education would otherwise be at risk as a direct result of financial difficulties. The Student Assistance Fund is co-funded by the Irish Government and the European Social Fund under the Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning 2014-2020. The Student Assistance Fund records are kept strictly confidential.
Am I eligible to Apply?
- You may apply for funding if you are a full-time or part time student, registered with IT Sligo participating on a third level course of at least one year, leading to a higher education award (NFQ level 6-10).
- Students on courses that do not lead to a higher education award are not eligible for SAF.
- International students who are not eligible for EU fees are not eligible to apply for funding
- Student Assistance Fund is only available for students who are experiencing financial hardship or unexpected financial hardship.
What can I use it for?
- Books and other class materials
- Rent, heating and lighting bills
- Essential travel
- In the case of parent students, un-registered childcare
- Medical costs
- Other financial emergency or difficulty
Students who have been impacted financially by Covid-19 are eligible to apply for financial help. You must provide evidence of your financial difficulty due to the pandemic.
What costs are not covered?
- Tuition fees
- Registration fees
- Repayment of student debt/loan
How do I Apply?
- Login above with your Student ID and password. Deadlines are outlined at the top of this page and are strictly adhered to.
- Complete an on-line application, this will be emailed to your student email account and available on our website. Please take note of the closing date as no late applications can be accepted.
- You must provide all supporting documents requested in the application. Failure to do so can cause delay in processing your application. An online application is not a complete application and will not be processed without the supporting documents. Supporting documents are queued for assessment based on the date they have been received by the access office.
- Supporting documents can be submitted in the following manner:
- Posted to Access Office, IT Sligo, Ash Lane, Sligo
- Manually placed in the secure box at reception, clearly marked SAF Applications
- Or emailed to Student@nullitsligo.ie as a PDF or JPEG only. Please do not email documents that are not in JPEG or PDF format, these applications will be returned to you.
(your application will be delayed if you do not provide all evidence required)
- Signed Cover letter,
- Evidence of SUSI
- If you are not in receipt of SUSI then you must outline as to why you are not in receipt of SUSI. If this is for threshold purposes, then you must provide your household Income in the format of your parents/guardians Employment Detail Summary (P60) or Statement of Liability (P21)
- Evidence of Rent/mortgage (Rent form is available to download on the on-line application), evidence of mortgage payment is required
- 2 months bank statements, for December and January, these must have your name on them so that they can be linked to your account, and they must show all transactions
- Evidence of income, 3 payslips or highlight on bank statement your wages or PUP whichever is relevant
- Evidence of Social Welfare Payment if relevant
- If you are a parent and in receipt of Children’s Allowance, please provide evidence
- If you are a parent and use an un-registered childcare provider and are claiming for un-registered childcare, then you must provide evidence
- Your spouse/partner’s income details/social welfare payment
What happens to my application?
- Supporting documents are opened on a first in first opened basis. Supporting documents are matched to your on-line application and if your application is complete then it is brought to the next Welfare Assessment. If you have not submitted all the required documentation you will receive an automated message outlining what documents are required. The onus is on the student to follow up with this documentation failure to do so means your application is deemed INCOMPLETE and left on file.
- All COMPLETED applications are brought before the Welfare Committee for consideration.
- The Committee may require further clarification in relation to aspects of the application
- Applicants will receive email notifications on the decision of the Committee with further instructions of how payment will be made.
- It is important to note that there are limited funds available so we prioritise those who are most in need and not every request for funding can be met. SAF Fund is a means test fund.
- Payment can take anything up to 30 days to be paid.