Visa and Immigration

Learn more about applying for a visa, registering with immigration, medical insurance requirements and working in Ireland as a student.

Visa and Immigration

Depending on your nationality, you may require a visa to travel to Ireland. You can check if you need a visa here 

Guidance on how to apply for a visa is available on the Irish Immigration Services webpage

Average visa processing times are 6-8 weeks. 

On arrival to Ireland, you will pass through border control

An immigration officer will check your documents and place a stamp in your passport. 

You should pack all important documents in your hand luggage including your Passport, Visa, IT Sligo Offer Letter, Tuition Fee Payment Receipt, Medical Insurance and Proof of Accommodation.

All students from outside of the EU/EEA must register with immigration after arriving to Ireland. 

To register, you will need to make an appointment at your local registration office and the provide the required supporting documentation and fee. The fee to register is 300 euro. 

After successfully registering you will receive your Irish Residence Permit (IRP). This will be valid for a specific time period which is normally 12 months. 

You must renew your registration before your IRP card expires. 

New students will be given further information about registering with immigration during Induction. 


You will need to renew your immigration permission / IRP before it expires. 

The process to renew is very similar to first time registration. 

You will need to make an appointment at your local registration office and provide the required supporting documentation. The cost to renew is 300 euros. 



Medical Insurance

Students from outside the EU are required to have private medical insurance during their time in Ireland.

Your health insurance must meet the requirements of the Irish Immigration Service.

Students are responsible for purchasing, and renewing, their own health insurance. Some of the companies in Ireland that offer health insurance include: 

Study and Protect,  VHI,, Guardme,, Laya Healthcare, Irish LifeAviva


Students from the EU who have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) can access public health services in Ireland.

Please be aware that the EHIC does not provide access to private health services in Ireland.

Students should apply for their EHIC card before travelling to Ireland.

Information about using an EHIC card in Ireland is available here.

Working in Ireland

Subject to certain conditions, students from outside the EU can work in Ireland on a casual basis provided they have a valid Irish Residence Permit/Stamp 2 immigration permission.

Students can work a maximum of 20 hours per week 

During specific dates students can work a maximum of 40 hours per week. These dates are 15 December – 15 January and 1 June – 30 September. 

Further information is available here

If you are offered employment during your studies, you will need to apply for a Personal Public Service Number (PPSN). 

This is a unique reference number that is used by Irish state departments including Revenue.

PPSN applications are managed by the Department of Social Protection. 

You can apply for an PPSN online. Further information is available on the Government of Ireland website.

Third Level Graduate Scheme

The Third Level Graduate Scheme provides non-EEA students with an oppertunity to remain in Ireland for 1-2 years after graduation for the purpose of seeking graduate level employment. 

The scheme is open to students who have studied in Ireland and completed a degree at NQF Level 8 or 9. This includes Bachelor Honours and Masters degrees,.

The scheme is also known as Stamp 1G  

To be eligible for the scheme, graduates must meet the criteria listed on the Irish Immigration Service.

You can apply after your have completed your degree and received your final results. 

You must book an appointment at your local registration office. You must bring all supporting documentation and your registration fee to your appointment

Further information is available here.