Repeat/Deferred Exams or Other Assessment Types
DEFERRAL OF EXAMINATIONS
A student may request a deferral of an examination sitting in an academic year if you have not already taken the exam/assessment.
A student may request a deferral of an examination sitting or submission of a final assessment due to a sudden unavoidable event that prevents you from being present at an exam centre or submitting a final assessment when it falls due.
It applies for the following reasons:
a) Bereavementb) Accident c) Illness d) Other personal disruption
The submission must be supported by third party documentation e.g. (medical certificate, link to RIP.ie, referral letter) or self-certification (i.e. a letter from an employer on headed paper) must be uploaded as part of the application.
Online Deferral applications must be received within four days of the last timetabled exam in each exam session. Deferrals will NOT be considered after the fourth day.
- The submission of third party substantiating evidence is mandatory and must be in date ( E.g. Medical certs must be current and date stamped by G.P.)
- A deferral for a booked holiday will not be considered as the dates of the exam periods are published at the beginning of the academic year and are available on our academic calendar.
- You must list every individual module you are requesting an exam deferral for and ensure that you have the correct module code and module title listed.
- You will automatically be registered to complete a deferred exam or submit a final assessment at the next available sitting.
- If you are unable to take a deferred exam or submit a final piece of work, for a valid reason, at the next available sitting you must apply again though this deferral process.
- If your deferral application is unsuccessful you must email email@example.com to register for a repeat.
- Only applications which are fully complete will be considered by the Deferral Committee. Not all deferral applications are approved so consideration needs to be given to the consequences of an application not being approved.
The online deferral form will be disabled at the close of business on fourth day after the last timetabled exam. After that you can contact your Head of Dept for consideration of exceptional circumstances.
Repeat Examinations/Project Submission/Assignment Submission/Dissertation Submission or any other repeat work
If you have not passed a module (or not passed by compensation)
- We advise you to discuss your result with your lecturer on the feedback days. Email your lecturer and request a meeting, either in person or online. It is important to find out what you need to do next. You can also request a re-check during this time.
- If the module has a final exam (Invigilated ‘hall’ type exam), assume that you need to repeat the final exam in the Repeat Exams session.
- If the module is 100% CA, instructions for your repeat requirements and due date will be sent to your ATU email address.
Repeating within the Academic Year
You must register in your student account for the repeat exam and/or other repeat CA , before the 30 June.
Click into your ATU Student Self-Service account to the grades and click on the re-apply button on the bottom of the results screen. Follow the screens through to register and pay the €100 repeat registration fee.
Please note, if you are asked to enter your telephone number for verification purposes at the payment stage, ensure you enter your international dial code.
- The repeat registration facility opens as soon as results are released and closes on the 30th of June.
- If you were granted a defer, you do not need to do anything, you will automatically be registered for the Autumn exam session
- If you have a fail and a defer you will need to register on the failed module only, your defer will be automatically processed.
In order to register and repeat the exam / assessment in the following academic year you need to contact the examination office with the exact module(s) code and module(s) name. The examination office will register you for the repeat exams and ally the fee to your account.
For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org
All students who have been informed that they need to return and Repeat Attend a module must get written permission from their Head of Dept and then present this letter to Admissions. Please email email@example.com for further information.
All communication regarding Examinations and /or Repeat requirements will be to your ATU email address only.
Check your student e-mail regularly; the college accepts no responsibility for students who claim they have not received their documentation.