Are you a recent Tourism or Business graduate at Level 7? If so, this programme will take you to a Level 8 qualification in one academic year. Though this is a business degree, the specialism is Tourism with Events Management.
We have embedded key skills in the course to ensure our graduates are equipped to work in the tourism and events management industries:
- You will gain awareness and understanding of core tourism concepts and trends including cultural, adventure, eco- and events-related tourism developments
- You will also understand sustainability issues including managing tourism impacts and tourism planning marketing
- You will build competencies in core business areas including management, marketing, finance, law and digital media marketing
- You will learn people-related skills including communication, interpersonal, team-working and customer service skills
- You will build your understanding of conceptual and organisational skills including collecting and organising information, problem-solving, planning and organising, innovation and creativity
- Language study available as an elective
Entry requirements for CAO courses at ATU Sligo are available for download below:
- Download Entry requirements for just Level 8 programmes
- Download Entry requirements for all programmes
This add-on year is suited to graduates of a Bachelor of Business degree, but would be of particular interest to Tourism graduates at Level 7. Note that if you have not passed all your Level 7 modules, you would still be eligible for entry if you pass them in your autumn repeats.
You should note that all entrants to this course will be required to undergo vetting by the Garda Síochána. If you have a criminal conviction in Ireland or elsewhere, this may adversely impact on your ability to undertake a professional placement or to secure employment.
Graduates in tourism are much sought after and the skills developed are transferable internationally and from one aspect of the industry to another. You are likely to work in national or local tourism development agencies; travel agencies; tour companies; ecotourism, cultural attractions, events, festivals or community development.
The broad business knowledge and skills gained by completing this course has enabled many of our graduates to pursue rewarding careers in a wide variety of areas such as management, marketing, non for profit sector or teaching.
Graduates have an opportunity to complete a one year taught M.Sc in Marketing or undertake a Masters by Research. Many of our tourism graduates proceed to post-graduate studies by research to either Masters (L9) or PhD (L10).
“Following my degree, I continued my studies with IT Sligo to PhD level. My doctoral research focused on Local Authority sustainable planning for event management in Ireland. I am now a Senior Lecturer in Tourism and Event Management, John Moore University, Liverpool, UK”
Dr. Kelly Maguire,
BBS (Hons) Tourism with Event Management & PhD 2018
[E] = Elective Module. Modules subject to availability.