Precision engineering (online) is a specialist branch of mechanical engineering which involves the design and manufacture of complex products, machines, tools and instruments, whose parts must be precisely correct in size and shape, have exceptionally tight tolerances and be produced repeatedly to exact specifications. Precision engineering is often defined as having an accuracy of1x106 - that’s one millionth of a metre, or 1 micron. This course is delivered over a two year period.
The manufacturing companies that now operate in Ireland typically design and make sophisticated products, almost always in very large quantities and with high level of precision.
This Precision Engineering programme will focus on:
- Precision Design – product, mould, tool and machine design
- Computer Aided Manufacture – CNC (Computer Numerical Control) programming & machining
- Advanced Manufacturing Technologies – automation, polymer processing, materials
- Metrology – Precision measurement and CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine)
- Manufacturing Requirements – validation, quality management, lean manufacturing and project management
The new precision engineering programmes at IT Sligo have been designed to meet 21st century manufacturing requirements and to ensure that graduates are equipped with the knowledge and skills now needed in modern manufacturing companies.
Key Course Information
This is online delivery but attendance at labs and practicals are required.
Application Closing Date : 31st August 2021
1. Holders of Level 6 Higher Certificate in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline.
2. Qualified craftpersons (in toolmaking, fitting and related skills) who have successfully completed the Certificate in Mechanical Analysis & Automation (Special Purpose Award).
3. Applicants with other qualifications and/or with relevant industrial experience who have successfully completed the RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) process by IT Sligo and have been deemed to have satisfied the Level 6 learning outcomes for mechanical or precision engineering.
Graduates will be employed in design, manufacturing, project management, CNC programming, metrology, validation and procurement roles in high-performance, advanced manufacturing and precision engineering companies
Did you know?
Total Programme Fees:
Fees per annum:
Per 10 credit module:
Per 5 credit module:
|Computer Aided Manufacture (CAM/CNC) 301||05|
|Machine Tool and Product Design||05|
|Mechanics and Mathematics 301||05|
|Metrology and Materials Testing||05|
|Automation and Integrated Manufacturing 301||05|
|Computer Aided Manufacture (CAM/CNC) 302||05|
|Mechanics and Mathematics 302||05|
|Mould Design and Polymer Processing||05|
|Robotics and Integrated Manufacturing 302||05|
|Integrated Project and Project Management||10|