|28th September 2020||Duration:||
1 Semester (14 weeks)
(no campus attendance needed)
100% Continuous Assessment
|Certificate in Lean Sigma Quality
5 ECTS credits at Level 7
Lectures: 1 hr per week
Enrol in Ireland's largest accredited online Lean & OpEx programme. This programme is being utilised by several of Ireland's leading employers to upskill their workforce utilising IT Sligo's award-winning 'anytime - anywhere' online learning system. The course includes weekly live sessions with your lecturer(s). All sessions are also recorded for later viewing and revision purposes.
The ‘Lean and Operational Excellence (Lean OpEx) Yellow Belt’ certificate course is primarily aimed at those working in a modern manufacturing or service environment who wish to expand their knowledge in the principles of Lean methodologies and Operational Excellence tools. The Lean tools are a key component and enabler of Operational Excellence where problem-solving, teamwork and leadership result in continuous improvement in the workplace. Although originating in manufacturing, the Lean Tools and Techniques are also being used in healthcare, banking and government sectors where benefits have been achieved in productivity, efficiency, and cost reduction.
The course is aimed at all levels within the organisation including operators, technicians, supervisors and managers. The course is offered over 1 semester (14 weeks). All of the course material and assessments are taken online with one lecture per week. The lectures are also recorded so you can watch them anytime at your own convenience.
Key Course Information
During this course, the student will study the application of Lean and Operational Excellence (OpEx) principles, including the Shingo model for operational excellence.
Topics will include:
- Principles of Lean and Operational Excellence
- Lean transformation and the culture of continuous improvement.
- Identifying the waste in your process – The 7 Deadly Wastes
- Toyota Productions System (TPS)
- Standard Work
- Daily Meetings, Leader Standard Work & Gemba Walks
- Problem Solving Tools & Techniques - A3 Problem Solving (8 Step) / DMAIC & PDCA
- Lean Metrics and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Flowcharting and Value Stream Mapping™ (current and future state)
- 5S and Visual Management
- Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
- Overall Equipment Efficiency (OEE) - 'winning the shift'
- SMED (Quick Changeover Techniques)
- Poka-Yoke (Error Proofing)
- JIT Production Levelling / Continuous Flow
Key Course Information
Application Closing Date : 31st August 2021
Applicants are expected to have passed Leaving Certificate or equivalent in maths due to the Statistics covered in the course syllabus.
If you are concerned about your Maths ability, IT Sligo now provide access to a free Mathematics Support Centre to all students. Here you can book online tutorials with our Maths tutors to review any queries you may have with the maths in your programme of study. Further details https://www.itsligo.ie/student-hub/maths-support-centre/
A good understanding of English language, literacy, numeracy and computer skills are required to be successful on this course.
Minimum PC requirements to use the Minitab Workspace software on this programme.
- Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1, Windows 10
- RAM*: 64-bit systems: 4 GB of memory or more recommended
- Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ Dual Core, with SSE2 technology
- Hard Disk Space: 2 GB (minimum) free space available
A growing number of organisations in manufacturing, medical device, pharmaceutical, food, healthcare and the service sectors are looking to fill a wide variety of positions with candidates who are adept at applying the principles of Lean, OpEx and Six Sigma.
Obtaining your Lean OpEx Yellow Belt is the first step on your journey. After completing the Yellow Belt, you can progress onto a Six Sigma Green Belt award. There are a number of career paths available, as the Lean, OpEx and Six Sigma tools can be very effective in improving business processes in a variety of different industries and sectors.
By completing the Lean & OpEx Yellow Belt, you may wish to progress to a ‘Certificate in Lean Sigma Green Belt’ award from IT Sligo by completing an additional two modules - one of which is a work-based project. There are three modules on the Green Belt and you will be exempt from the Lean & OpEx module after completing your Yellow Belt. The three Green Belt modules are as follows:
- Lean & OpEx - You will complete this as part of your Yellow Belt
- Six Sigma 1 - Introduction to Lean Sigma Quality
- Six Sigma 3 - Project
IT Sligo also offers a ‘Certificate in Advanced Lean Six Sigma Black Belt’ award. Both of these courses are offered in an online mode.
Did you know?
Course Fee: €500
Special Offer: €250* (50% discount on the course price)
* This limited special offer has been extended to those who register on or before Monday, 31st August.
Further funding is available through the ICBE Skillnet. If your employer is based in the Republic of Ireland and is paying for the course, the ICBE Advanced Productivity Skillnet will offer an additional subsidy of €100, reducing the cost of the Yellow Belt to your employer to €150. For more details on how your employer can avail of ICBE funding, please have your HR/Training Manager contact: Aidan Kelly, ICBE - firstname.lastname@example.org
|Lean & Operational Excellence (OpEx)||05|