1 Semester (14 weeks)
(no campus attendance needed)
|Certificate in Lean Sigma Quality
5 ECTS credits at Level 7
Lectures: 1 hr per week
Enrol in Ireland's largest accredited online Lean & Operational Excellence (OpEx) course. This programme is being utilised by several of Ireland's leading employers to upskill their workforce using IT Sligo's award-winning 'anytime - anywhere' online learning system. The course includes weekly live interactive sessions with your lecturer(s). All lectures are also recorded for later viewing and revision purposes. Note: If you are an employer planning to enrol a group of your employees on this programme, please get in contact with us (email@example.com) so that we can offer you more personalised options.
The Lean & OpEx Yellow Belt’ certificate course is primarily aimed at those working in a modern manufacturing or service environment who wish to expand their knowledge in the principles of Lean methodologies and Operational Excellence tools. Participants on this course are also given free access to Minitab Workspace during their course of study at IT Sligo. Minitab Workspace contains powerful visual tools, process maps, brainstorming diagrams and forms in one intuitive interface that will be utilised throughout the course. The Lean tools are a key component and enabler of Operational Excellence where problem-solving, teamwork and leadership result in continuous improvement in the workplace. Although originating in manufacturing, the Lean Tools and Techniques are also being used in healthcare, banking and government sectors where benefits have been achieved in productivity, efficiency, and cost reduction.
The course is aimed at all levels within the organisation including operators, technicians, supervisors and managers. The course is offered over 1 semester (14 weeks). All of the course material and assessments are taken online with one lecture per week. The lectures are also recorded so you can watch them anytime at your own convenience.
Key Course Information
During this course, the student will study the application of Lean and Operational Excellence (OpEx) principles, including the Shingo model for operational excellence.
Topics will include:
- Principles of Lean and Operational Excellence
- Lean transformation and the culture of continuous improvement.
- Shingo prize and the Toyota Production System
- What is a (business) process and how to optimise it?
- Identifying the Waste in your process – the 7 deadly Wastes
- 5S & Visual Management
- Poka-Yoke (Error Proofing)
- Flowcharting your process
- Value Stream Mapping™ (using Minitab Workspace software)
- Lean Metrics & Key Performance Indicator's (KPI'S)
- Calculating Lead time, Cycle time, Takt time and Process Cycle Efficiency (PCE)
- Pull & Flow, JIT, Kanban and the Theory of Constraints (TOC)
- Problem Solving Tools & Techniques - / DMAIC, PDCA & Kaizen events
- Five Whys, A3 (8-step) process, Fishbone diagrams,
- Total Productive Maintenance (TPM)
- Overall Equipment Efficiency (OEE) - 'winning the shift'
- SMED (Quick Changeover Techniques)
- Daily Meetings, Leader Standard Work & Gemba walks
Key Course Information
Application Closing Date : 7th January 2022
Applicants are expected to have passed the Leaving Certificate or equivalent in maths due to the statistics covered in the course syllabus.
If you are concerned about your Maths ability, IT Sligo now provide access to a free Mathematics Support Centre to all students. Here you can book online tutorials with our Maths tutors to review any queries you may have with the maths in your programme of study. Further details https://www.itsligo.ie/student-hub/maths-support-centre/
A good understanding of English language, literacy, numeracy and computer skills are required to be successful on this course.
Minimum PC requirements to use the Minitab Workspace software on this programme.
- Operating System: Windows 10 or Windows 11
- RAM*: 64-bit systems: 4 GB of memory or more recommended
- Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ Dual Core, with SSE2 technology
- Hard Disk Space: 2 GB (minimum) free space available
- Note: Minitab do not provide a version of this software for the Apple Mac.
A growing number of organisations in manufacturing, medical device, pharmaceutical, food, healthcare and the service sectors are looking to fill a wide variety of positions with candidates who are adept at applying the principles of Lean, OpEx and Six Sigma.
Obtaining your Lean OpEx Yellow Belt is the first step on your journey. After completing the Yellow Belt, you can progress onto a Six Sigma Green Belt award. There are a number of career paths available, as the Lean, OpEx and Six Sigma tools can be very effective in improving business processes in a variety of different industries and sectors.
By completing the Lean & OpEx Yellow Belt, you may wish to progress to a ‘Certificate in Lean Sigma Green Belt’ award from IT Sligo by completing an additional two modules - one of which is a work-based project. There are three modules on the Green Belt and you will be exempt from the Lean & OpEx module after completing your Yellow Belt. The three Green Belt modules are as follows:
- Lean & OpEx - you will complete this as part of your Yellow Belt
- Six Sigma 1 - Introduction to Lean Sigma Quality (runs from September - December each year)
- Six Sigma 3 - Project
IT Sligo also offers a ‘Certificate in Advanced Lean Six Sigma Black Belt’ award. Both of these courses are offered in an online mode.
“We selected IT Sligo as they are the leading provider of accredited online learning programmes in Ireland. Their online learning systems allow our employees to access the course material anytime, anywhere. It provides us with the unique ability to train over 2,000 of our employees in a cost-effective way across 10 sites working on multiple shifts. This online course is a key part of the progression path for Glanbia employees who wish to continue to upskill and earn additional qualifications such as Lean Six Sigma Yellow and Green Belt certification.” Michael Phelan, Glanbia Ireland’s Head of Operations and Supply Chain Excellence
Course Fee: €500
Special Offer: €250* (50% discount on the course price for participants located in Ireland.)
*Normally priced at €500, as a special offer IT Sligo have discounted the fee to €250. Places are limited on this programme.
In addition, the ICBE Advanced Productivity Skillnet is offering a subsidy of €100 to eligible employers, reducing the cost of the Yellow Belt to €150 per person. To avail of the additional subsidy, applicants must have their employer pre-register their interest with ICBE by completing the form at the following link: https://icbe.ie/skillnet-profile-form-aps/
- There are a limited number of places which will be part-funded (€100) by the ICBE Skillnet.
- Skillnet funding can only be applied for where the employer pays the course fees on behalf of the student.
- Self-employed applicants can also avail of the subsidy.
- The ICBE Advanced Productivity Skillnet will issue the invoice for €150 per person directly to you or your organisation.
- Public-sector and companies outside of the Republic of Ireland are not eligible for the subsidy but can still apply directly to IT Sligo to participate in the course.
- Applicants who are not eligible for the ICBE subsidy will be invoiced directly by IT Sligo for €250.
|Lean & Operational Excellence (OpEx)||05|