MEng in Geotechnical / Structural Engineering Joint Programme
- MEng in Geotechnical Engineering with Structural Engineering
- MEng in Structural Engineering with Geotechnical Engineering
This part-time online MEng provides postgraduate training for Level 8 degree qualified professional and graduate Civil Engineers who require up-skilling and higher education in the areas of Geotechnical and Structural Engineering. The programme is also attractive to experienced Civil Engineers who are seeking to move from a different area of expertise into the Geotechnical and /or Structural Engineering domains.
Graduates of the programme can work as design or site engineers in the areas of Geotechnical / Structural Engineering at a level of responsibility appropriate to the increasingly complex and technical roles currently required by industry.
The programme has two primary aims:
- To provide upskilling to existing civil engineers working or intending to work in the Geotechnical / Structural Engineering domains,
- To provide a means for graduate engineers to meet the educational requirement for Chartered Engineer membership of Engineers Ireland, while at the same time developing advanced skills in Geotechnical and Structural Engineering. This is particularly relevant to Level 8 Civil Engineering graduates already in employment who wish to become Chartered Engineers.
The programme is delivered part-time online over two stages.
Stage one of the programme consists of six taught modules, delivered over one academic year (September to May). The taught modules examine key aspects of Geotechnical Engineering and Structural Engineering. A particular focus of the taught modules is on soil – structure interaction and the use of numerical methods in Geotechnical and Structural Engineering.
Stage two consists of a research project which is designed to develop a real and tangible research project, relevant to academic requirements, the student’s career aspirations and/or their employer’s needs. The student can choose to complete Stage 2 of the programme over one or two academic years. Students will be able to propose their own project areas, subject to agreement with their supervisor. Work related projects are encouraged, again, subject to agreement with their supervisor.
On completion of the programme the student will be awarded an MEng in Geotechnical Engineering with Structural Engineering if their research thesis is primarily focused on Geotechnical Engineering or an MEng in Structural Engineering with Geotechnical Engineering if their research thesis is primarily focused on Structural Engineering.
The proposed programme is unique in so far as:
- It is the only part-time online MEng in areas of Geotechnical and Structural Engineering in the country,
- It is part-time and delivered online, and therefore attractive to engineers in full-time employment,
- It has a major research component which will enable learning while undertaking a project of direct interest to the student, their employer and clients.
POTENTIAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITIES
In addition to ITSligo Scholarships, Sligo Chamber Skillnet may be able to partially fund programme fees for you or your employees - for further details please contact email@example.com
Application Closing Date : 31st August 2020
|Civil Eng. and Construction||Taught Masters Degree by Thesis|
The minimum entry requirements are a second class honours (2.2) award in a professionally accredited Honours degree (Level 8) in Civil or Structural Engineering. Other suitable applicants may be accepted on completion of a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process.
Graduates of the programme work as design and site engineers in the area of Geotechnical / Structural Engineering at a level of responsibility appropriate to the increasingly complex and technical roles currently required by industry.
What subjects will I study?
|Geotechnical Engineering I||05|
|Soil - Structure Interaction||05|
|Design of Building Structures||05|
[E] = Elective Module. Modules subject to availability.
The standard fee for the course is €9,000, or €4,500 per year if completed in two years. Waivers will apply in specific cases.
Eligible students may apply for an IT Sligo Masters Scholarship which would cover the full EU fee value of the programme for two years.
Who do I contact?
T: 353 (0) 71 915 5379