MSc in Public Health Nutrition
This Masters in Public Health Nutrition aims to support the development of knowledge, skills and competencies, specific to the practice of Public Health Nutrition. In addition, leadership styles, strategies, capabilities and competencies will be examined, placing the graduate in a position to lead teams and to advocate for change within the area. Learners will also undertake and engage with a research project. This combined discipline-specific and research programme model of learning will instil skills of researching relevant public health nutrition issues in Ireland and contribute to local and national evidence bases.
INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY SLIGO MASTERS SCHOLARSHIP FUND
IT Sligo has established a Masters Scholarship Fund to support students applying for either: Taught Level 9 courses that have a Major research component (a minimum of 60% of the programme credits), or; Research Masters programmes. The MSc in Public Health Nutrition Programme meets this criterion.
Prospective students may apply for the following forms of support:
- The full EU fee value of the programme for two years.
- Partial EU fee value relating to the programme for two years
- Continuation of such support for a further two years, in the case of Research Masters candidates who have successfully transferred to PhD
How to apply
When you apply for the programme our Admissions teams will send you further information and an Application Form.
Please complete this fully and return it to our Admissions team.
The closing date for applications to the Scholarship Fund is the 31st July 2019.
The following criteria will be used to make awards:
- Applications must relate to the categories of programme listed
- Applicants must meet the entry criteria for the relevant programme
- Applicants must demonstrate that they are not in receipt of other grant funding support for their studies
- Applicants who can demonstrate financial imperatives will be prioritised
- Applicants should demonstrate: in the case of taught programmes, that the qualification will benefit them personally, academically and professionally
- Candidates outside the EU must contribute the difference between the award and the full fee liability
Up to 6 successful applicants will receive Scholarship offers before the start of the academic year.
The decision of the selection panel is final.
The Master of Public Health Nutrition degree offers students the opportunity to develop expertise in the foundations of practice in population and public health nutrition and to develop essential leadership, communication and professional practice skills, placing graduates in a position to play a pivotal role in the future of Public Health Nutrition. The curriculum provides robust academic and experiential opportunities to address the health of individuals and populations in different settings and countries.
The programme is taught over one year full-time (on campus) or two years on a part-time (online) basis.
If you attend part-time over 2 years, semesterisation is as follows :
- Public Health Nutrition
- Nutrition Assessment Methods
- Nutrition Research Methodologies
- Food and Nutrition Policy
- Statistical Analysis for Nutritional Research
- Public Health Nutrition Interventions
- Leadership in Public Health Nutrition
- Nutritional Epidemiology
- Public Health Nutrition Thesis
Application Closing Date : 31st August 2020
|Health & Nutritional Sciences||Taught Masters Degree by Thesis|
Applications with a 2.2 Honours award in a relevant discipline may apply.
Applicants who do not meet this entry criterion may be considered through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Advice, guidance and support for applicants can on be found at www.myexperience.ie
With a comprehensive understanding of the foundations of practice in population and public health nutrition and through the development of essential leadership, communication and professional practice skills, graduates will play a pivotal role in the future of Public Health Nutrition. Graduates will be highly competitive in the changing landscape of employment in the area of nutrition. Graduates are well placed for roles within health promotion, government agencies, community health centres, NGO's, the food industry and within national nutrition research groups.
What are my further study opportunities?
Graduates will be well placed to pursue doctorates in the area of Public Health Nutrition and Population Health.
What subjects will I study?
|Public Health Nutrition||05|
|Nutrition Assessment Methods||05|
|Nutrition Research Methodologies||05|
|Food and Nutrition Policy||05|
|Public Health Nutrition Interventions||05|
|Statistical Analysis for Nutritional Research||05|
Did you know?
Pre-school children in Ireland are exposed to over 1000 ads for unhealthy foods each year.
The fees for this masters programme are €5000.