Programme Code: SG_SENVM_K08
About Environmental Management
There is an ever increasing onus on all types of organisations to manage environmental issues and factor environmental and sustainability requirements into their decision making processes. This arises from a number of drivers in areas such as legislative compliance, commercial development, technical operations and Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). Furthermore, there is now an increasing necessity to factor environmental and sustainability criteria into the early stages of project development.
This honours degree in Environmental Management is specifically designed for people who need to take an active role in the areas of environmental management, project management and sustainable development. Our graduates are employed across the public and private sectors worldwide, in roles such as environmental officer/advisor/manager, sustainability officer/advisor/manager, environmental clerk of works, sustainability/environmental consultant and project manager, to name but a few.
Frequently asked Questions:
Q: How often do I need to attend ATU Sligo?
A: This is an online course. We do meet up once per semester for workshop/site visit activities. However, if you are abroad it is still possible to complete the course, and provision can be made to take exams remotely.
Q: When does the course start and how long are the semesters?
A: The course starts in mid-September. Semester 1 runs from September to December with exams in January. Semester 2 runs from January to May with exams in May.
Q: How is the course delivered?
A: Lectures are delivered online, via adobe connect or panopto. The online lectures are normally scheduled between 6-10pm from Monday - Thursday during the term. Normally your lectures will take place on one/two of these evenings. If you cannot attend the live lecture, you have the option of watching a recorded lecture later at your convenience. Assignments are completed/uploaded using the online moodle platform.
We are currently running the course on a 2 year cycle, with one taught module running each semester. Additionally in Year 2 the Project is taken alongside the taught modules.
Key Course Information
Application Closing Date : 16th September 2022
Ordinary Degree (Level 7) in a relevant science discipline. Applicants with other qualifications and/or with relevant experience will also be considered. It is also envisaged however, that applicants with different backgrounds can successfully complete the programme, subject to assessment of other recognised qualifications, and/or recognised prior learning and/or relevant work experience. These candidates will be interviewed for suitability and be subject to prior approval by the Programme Board.
Many organisations and projects now seek qualified professionals to take on the role of environmental manager or environmental advisor and this course opens up many employment opportunities in these roles across all sectors. For those currently employed, this course offers promotion opportunities for project management and environmental management roles at your own workplace. Finally, we are seeing a major uplift in sustainability roles in both the public and private sectors, both in Ireland and internationally.
Our graduates are well placed to apply for roles in these areas and are employed across the public and private sectors worldwide. Examples of job titles are environmental officer/advisor/manager, sustainability officer/advisor/manager, environmental clerk of works, sustainability/environmental consultant and project manager, to name but a few.
This course allows graduates to apply for L9 programmes at ATU Sligo and other third level colleges.
What our Graduates say:
- “The modular system is great, each topic was well structured.”
- “The course content was very relevant to industry and regulated environments.”
- “The online content made it easy to stay on top of the workload.”
- “On-line learning technologies allowed me to stay in contact with the lecturers and get to know my class.”
- “I recently went for an environmental management position, I couldn’t have applied for that job without doing the course. It definitely opened up a lot more options for me.”
- “The course is well organised and flexible so it suited my lifestyle with work and home life.”
- “I understand environmental legislation a lot more than I did before.”
- “It gave me a sense of achievement and extra confidence.”
- “I obtained new found knowledge relevant to the workplace.”
- “The lecturers were very helpful and supportive.”
- “Have an open mind, some of topics which I had no interest in were really informative.”
- “The course met all my expectations and I was very happy with it.”
- “The course tied very well to the things I do at work, the course content definitely sticks in your head.”
Did you know?
This is an accredited course with the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM), the largest professional body for chartered environmental scientists. All students on this course are eligible to become student members of this professional body. For further details please click here.
Total Programme Fees:
Per 10 credit module: