This course provides compost operators, regulators of facilities and anyone interested in starting a composting facility with the practical knowledge on how to compost properly, how to produce a high quality compost product and how to be compliant with all the regulations. The course was developed by Cré- Composting and Anaerobic Digestion Association of Ireland in co-operation with FÁS and ATU Sligo (formly IT Sligo) in 2007. To date 142 people have completed this course. Attendees on the course have been local authority/ Environmental Protection Agency enforcement staff, compost operators, compost facility developers and technology providers. The course allows participants to satisfy the general Environmental Protection Agency requirement for a suitably qualified and experienced facility manager to operate a licensed composting facility
Composting Operator Training Programme Content
- Definitions and Biology of Composting
- Composting Process
- Composting Technologies
- Process Control
- Potential Environmental Impacts & Environmental Management
- Compliance with Regulatory Framework
- Health and Safety
- Facility Maintenance
- Compost Uses and Marketing
- Community Relations
(you will find complete documentation here)
The programme is delivered over 6 days, comprising three blocks of 2 days over a period of two months. The programme comprises lectures and site visits to a large green waste composting facility (windrow technology), a small green waste composting facility and food waste composting facility (In- vessel/Animal By- Product Facility). The students are required to complete reports of site visits and other assignments and to undertake an exam at the end of the programme. The programme is delivered off-campus at locations close to Dublin.
Key Course Information
SPECIAL PURPOSE AWARD (10 CREDITS) LEVEL 6
The programme will be limited to a maximum of 30 students per programme. The programme will be provided and managed by the Institute of Technology, Sligo on behalf of Cré.
Download a PDF Brochure about this course Here
Application Closing Date : 16th September 2022
Did you know?
This course has been accredited as a Special Purpose Award Certificate, Level 6, 10 credits on the National Framework of Qualifications. It is equivalent to a 10 credit subject of a Higher Certificate in Science. Normally a Higher Certificate is taken over the first two years of full-time course in a third level institute and involves achieving a total of 120 credits. A Special Purpose Award is designed for a course in a specialist subject area which is not a component subject of an existing academic programme and is insufficient in itself to justify a full award at Level 6 (Higher Certificate) or other levels. The accreditation for this course is recognised nationally and internationally.
COMMENTS FROM PEOPLE WHO COMPLETED THE COURSE
- “From the site visits, I have taken different techniques on record keeping and house management to improve my existing site” Kevin McCabe, Enrich.
- “Our composting facility is just about to start operating and the course has given us virtually all the information and tools to ensure that we get off to a good start” Pete Murtagh, Sligo County Council.
- “We are at the start up stage-excellent for overall information” John Prunty, Preseco Ireland.
- “Broadness of speakers/items covered was excellent. Group exercises were a fantastic example of how everyone comes up with different ideas. The interaction was also an excellent way to meet and converse with others” “I now have a great insight into the composting industry in Ireland” Katie O’Neill, Atkins Ireland Ltd.
- “More than met expectations, excellently organised and delivered. The site visits were particularly useful and excellent to see some of the subjects/theory/equipment etc. in practice” Andrew Wilson, Ballymun Regeneration.
- “Difficult to make suggestions for improvements in what I consider the best of many courses I have attended” P.J.Phelan, Phelan Services.
- “Good diversity, good site visits, good group work and good visiting speakers” Tara Griffin, CTO Greenclean.
Total Programme Fees:
Fees per annum:
Per 10 credit module:
Fees for this course are paid directly to Cré.
|COMPOST FACILITY OPERATIONS||10|