This 13 week part-time online programme aims to equip you with the practical skills to research, plan, create, publish and analyse social media content that will engage with your customer and help you to stand out on social media. This includes familiarising you with social media software used by marketing professionals to identify and target custom market segments. You will have the opportunity to explore multiple social media tools and techniques used by marketing executives to manage and measure the influence and success of your own social media campaigns.
You will study three modules over 13 weeks: Social Media Software and Analytics (10 credits), Content Creation (5 credits) and Digital & Social Media Planning (5 credits).
The course content is tailored for social media marketers at a beginner/intermediate level.
The objectives of the programme are to:
1. Use contemporary social media marketing tools and platforms to achieve business objectives
2. Learn practical tactics to ensure success i n social media marketing using engaging and interesting content.
3. Integrate online marketing and social media with existing marketing activities in marketing plans
4. Apply digital tools and platforms to create and measure the effectiveness of promotional campaigns.
Key Course Information
Application Closing Date : 4th December 2020
The Institute of Technology Sligo has policies in place which are fully implemented to allow for access to a full range of learners to include:
● The second level school leaver on the basis of Leaving Certificate performance only where minimum Institute entry requirements for L6 programmes will apply.
● Non-standard applicants - any applicant on the basis of non-standard circumstances that would include, but not exclusively, maturity, other qualifications and disability. The implementation of this policy is reflected in the increased diversity of our student cohort.
● Recognition of Prior Learning ( RPL) – applications for exemptions/advanced entry will be considered in line with the Institute’s RPL policies and procedures.
● Applicants should possess a basic level of digital literacy. You would be expected to be comfortable in working with Windows ( or similar, e.g. MacOS) and Microsoft Office ( or similar, e.g. Open Office), the latter to an introductory standard such as described by ECDL Base modules.
● In addition, international students, whose first language is not English, will be required to prove their English competency through previous examination results, recognised English language tests such as IELTS ( 6.5 or equivalent required) and through oral communication skills at interview.
Industry Demand for Social Media Marketing Skills
This course will equip you with the skills required to succeed in Social Media Marketing. With social media platforms showing a consistent increase in account ownership in Ireland (Ipsos MRBI, 2019), and users spending up to 2.5 hours everyday across multple social media sites, its influence on consumer decision making is soaring and cannot be ignored (Smart Insights, 2020).
The North West Regional Skills Forum (2018), SMEs Houses of the Oireachtas (2019), National Skills Strategy 2025 and Future Jobs Ireland (2019) have all published reports highlighting the industry demand for digital and social media marketing skills.
This special purpose award will support ( but not be sufficient in itself) a successful student in progressing to entry onto L6/L7 Programmes - exemptions may be warranted depending on the programme.
A recent graduate of the Digital Marketing degree programme, Anne Granahan ran her own business for several years before making the decision to return to IT Sligo in 2017. Over the course of 3 years, Anne built up a set of digital skills that she could see were in high demand, particularly in the small business’ where in-house knowledge didn’t exist and many managers were spending significant budget buying in the expertise.
Having completed a 12-week placement for Claremorris based Electric Skyline, Anne was offered a permanent job as Marketing Manager. “My background as a business owner was valued and when that was coupled with the practical digital marketing skills gained in the areas of graphic design, social media and Google analytics, my employer could see the value in bringing the skills in house”
The new 13-week Level 6 ‘Certificate in Social Media Marketing’, delivered fully online and with Springboard funded places available. “The course is very practical in nature and is aimed at those who may currently be undertaking a small amount of social media marketing, but need to gain the skills to be able to build, manage, monitor and report on the success of their social media activity” Aine Doherty, Lecturer in Marketing and Sales.
Springboard students may avail of this programme for free.
Eligibility criteria apply. Please check www.springboardcourses.ie for full details.
For fee paying students, the full programme fee is €1000.