BSc (Hons) in Public Health and Health Promotion (add-on)
This innovative and practically-driven degree aims to equip students with a variety of skills to improve your knowledge and competencies in promoting health amongst specialised and applied health areas and populations. Students are also supported in developing their understanding of health and its determinants and how to promote and protect population health.
Perhaps you are already working in the health, education or community sector and wish to develop key competencies that will enhance your career and employment opportunities.Developing your learning and understanding of this broad field is achieved by you, the student, through completion of practical and creative tasks with the support of lecturing and technical staff. You will undertake a work placement period at the end of the final semester for at least 12 weeks, obtaining the opportunity to put the skills and theory studied into practice.
This exciting programme aims to equip students with a wide variety of core competencies necessary for working in health-related positions, including skills to:
- Facilitate groups appropriately and effectively
- Plan, implement and evaluate health campaigns and health promotion programmes
- Communicate clear health messages to a variety of audiences
- Perform statistical analysis on health-related data
- Engage in innovative practical projects within the community
- Work with a variety of population groups in a number of key settings
- Critically appraise literature and research
- Critically reflect on your practice and devise strategies for professional development
- Develop health resources for various target populations
- Appraise public policy and develop policies to promote population health
- Develop links with potential employers
|Life Sciences||Honours Degree Addon|
Entry requirements for CAO 2017 courses at ITSligo are available for download below:
- Download Entry requirements for just Level 8 programmes
- Download Entry requirements for all programmes
Applicants with a level 7 qualification in a cognate area are eligible.
You should note that all entrants to this course will be required to undergo vetting by the Garda Siochána. If you have a criminal conviction in Ireland or elsewhere, this may adversely impact on your ability to undertake a professional placement or to secure employment in the field of early childhood care and education.
Hepatitis B vaccination will be required for work placement.
Graduates have progressed to work with a variety of organisations, including statutory, voluntary and community bodies. Job titles have included the following:
- Youth Health Promotion Officer
- Sports Development Co-Ordinator
- Drug and Alcohol Education Worker
- Schools Health Promotion Officer
- Community Development Worker
- Health Promotion Officer for People with Disabilities
- Health Promotion Officer
- Health Promotion Officer in Voluntary and Community Organisations
- Research Officer
What are my further study opportunities?
Suitably qualified graduates will be able to progress on to a level 9 Masters of Science in a related area.
What subjects will I study?
|FACILITATION AND GROUP WORK SKILLS II||05|
|PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE I||05|
|PROMOTING HEALTH IN SPECIFIC POPULATION GROUPS||05|
|TOPICS IN HEALTH PROMOTION||05|
|APPLIED STATISTICS IN PUBLIC HEALTH||05|
Who do I contact?
Contact Number: 071-9318510