Academic Staff CPD
As part of ATU Sligo’s commitment to providing Staff CPD, they have partnered with Linkedin Learning to provide you with free access to 16,000 + courses over a range of subjects to support your learning.
You can access on-demand learning on any device at any time 24/7. Stop when you need to and pick up where you have left off. Linkedin Learning will keep a record of your learning and you can add it to your own Linkedin profile.
To further enhance your skills set, T&L (CELT) offer a Post Graduate Certificate Level 9, in Teaching, Learning and Assessment, which you may be interested in undertaking.
Additionally a number of Digital Badges can be obtained, including the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) Digital Badge.
You may also be interested in the Open Courses for Professional Development offered by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
L9 SPA in Teaching, Learning and Assessment
This is a Level 9 Special Purpose Award delivered by Maureen Haran, Lecturer in Department of Teaching and Learning.
This FREE Online programme runs part-time over the academic yearThe programme consists of two (15) credit modules.
Effective Teaching and Learning (Semester 1)
Assessment & Feedback to Support Student Learning (Semester 2)
This is an exciting one-year programme (under the remit of the Department of Social Sciences) designed to support learners to adopt an enquiry-based approach to exploring challenges in teaching and learning in higher education.
- Participants will examine their pedagogy and practice, and develop practical and practice skills to take into their learning environment.
- Learners will investigate aspects of teaching and learning that are particularly relevant to their role as professional educators, inclusive of programme development, delivery and assessment.
- Providing opportunities to combine and cement educator’s expert knowledge with the professional competencies and skills for teaching and learning in higher education.
- New to the post graduate certificate is the inclusion of the Universal Design for Learning Digital Badge award. The criteria of the badge have been embedded into the assessment criteria of semester II, allowing for participants who successfully complete the program to exit with both a post graduate certificate in teaching, learning and assessment as well as the UDL Digital Badge.
Advice, guidance and support for applicants can be found at: www.myexperience.ie.
For more information contact Dr. Niamh Plunkett, Head of Teaching & Learning (CELT) – Niamh.firstname.lastname@example.org
L9 SPA in Universal Design for Learning
This is a Level 9 Award delivered by Maureen Haran, Lecturer in UDL, Teaching & Learning Centre (Sligo).
This Online programme runs part-time over the academic year.The programme consists of two (15) credit modules in year one. Learners have the option to progress to the Masters in UDL in year two.
- Understanding the UDL Framework; Inclusive Education – Beyond Threshold Concepts (Semester 1)
- Implementing the UDL Framework: Supporting Student Learning (Semester 2)
- The Post Graduate Certificate/ MA in Universal Design for Learning (UDL) unpacks the guiding principles for curriculum development that give all individuals equal opportunities to learn, including Students with Disabilities.
- The course aims to improve the educational experience of all students by introducing learners to more flexible methods of teaching, assessment, and service provision to cater for the diversity of learners in our classrooms and is designed to improve the learning experience and outcomes for all students.
- The Postgraduate Certificate in UDL is an exciting programme that enables students to gain critical and reflective skills to establish effective inclusive teaching and reflective practice.
- In both modules of the Pg Cert UDL, critical reflective practice, based on evidence rather than anecdote, is required and used as the basis for self-evaluation and self-improvement.
- The collection and analysis of evidence will therefore feature prominently as a central feature of the programme as a whole.
- The programme runs part-time over one academic year, accredited by ATU.
- Cost for non-ATU staff is €2, 400 for the PG Certificate.
Advice, guidance, and support for applicants can be found at: www.myexperience.ie.
For more information contact Maureen Haran, UDL Lecturer – Maureen.email@example.com
ATU Sligo provides LinkedIn Learning to all staff and students.
You need to activate your account and once this is done you will have access to over 14,000 courses for your training and professional development.
Universal Design (UDL)
Universal Design is the design and composition of an environment so that it can be accessed, understood and used to the greatest extent possible by all people regardless of their age, size, ability or disability.
An environment (or any building, product, or service in that environment) should be designed to meet the needs of all people who wish to use it. This is not a special requirement, for the benefit of only a minority of the population. It is a fundamental condition of good design.
Find out more about UDL at ATU Sligo.
Open Courses from the National Forum
Enhance Your Professional Development
Engage in professional development, gain recognition and enhance your teaching practice with open courses and digital badge awards endorsed by the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
Open Courses for Professional Development have been designed by teams of colleagues across the higher education sector in collaboration with the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
Open Courses are flexible opportunities for those who teach in higher education in Ireland interested in progressing their professional development.